Re: Further questions about cookies

I have never considered JavaScript owning a virtual machine, in the way Java
does, so I'm not sure what you mean by this.  The cookies limitation is
self-imposed, to keep the cookies file a reasonable size (it's usually
cookies.txt, placed in the parent nav directory).  Cookies are inherently
tied to the document, so each document has a different cookie (but same
cookie file). The same cookies file is used by any Netscape site that
implements them, in addition to JavaScript.

Now, NS's documentation is pretty lousy for all of this.  One of the
questions I have is does the limitation apply to a "temporary" cookie --
that is, one that lasts just the current session?  These don't appear to get
written to the cookies.txt file.  These are use most often in JavaScript,
and I can easily see that with the proliferation of JavaScript that it will
be easy to exceed the 300/4K limit.

Bill Dortch, the fellow who worked up the cookies functions at the hIdaho
site, is about the most knowledgable when it comes to cookies and
JavaScript.  I don't know if he cruises this list, though.  You might try
sending him some mail at bdortch@hidaho.com, to see if he knows of any
additional documentation.

-- Gordon
http://gmccomb.com/javascript/